Friday, December 9, 2011

Candy Cane Truffles

So if you’re on Pinterest ever, you’ve probably seen the cute truffles that have been circling around that you just drop into hot milk, stir and you have delicious hot chocolate. Super cute, right? Well Cindy over at Hungry Girl Por Vida (Yes, I’m copying her, again.)  upped the ante by putting peppermint in the chocolate and THEN SPRINKLING CANDY CANES ON TOP.  Oh, yes.  So when my sister in law told me she was doing hot chocolate at her annual Christmas party I had to tell her about this idea. After a trial run she gave it a thumbs up so I made a quadruple batch today!

This moves pretty fast once the cream is hot, so I did all of my prep work before hand.

I dumped 32 ounces of dark chocolate chips into a bowl.

IMAG0701

Then crushed up 7 or 8 candy canes. There HAS to be a better way to crush candy canes than smashing them in a Ziploc bag. Anyone have the solution??

IMAG0703

So now that I had everything set out, including the pans I was pouring the chocolate into, I heated up 16 ounces (1 pint) of heavy cream to scald – just under boiling.

IMAG0704

There will be little bubbles all around the edge of the pot like this.

IMAG0705

Dump the cream onto the chocolate chips, cover, and let it sit for 5 minutes.

IMAG0706

Once 5 minutes have passed, start stirring it up.  I went over my math four or five times in my head while I was stirring ‘cuz I was SURE I had put way too much cream in, but keep stirring….

IMAG0708

And you’ll end up with this! Swoon! Add in 2 teaspoons of vanilla and peppermint extract.

IMAG0709

Then pour it into your pans! My sister in law wanted to use these pretty pans, but you can always dump it into a 9x13 then cut and remove them.  We’re going to cut them and let people take them out themselves.

IMAG0710

Smooth it out…

IMAG0711

Top it with crushed candy canes and there you are! Chill for 30-60 minutes, then cut into squares. I’m just chilling them until I take them over to my sister in law’s tomorrow.

IMAG0714

Heat up 6-8 ounces of milk and then drop one of these bad boys in.  Or two. I won’t judge.

Candy Cane Truffles
Adapted slightly from Hungry Girl Por Vida

32 ounces dark chocolate chips
1 pint heavy cream
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
crushed candy canes
6-8 ounces hot milk. 

Heat cream to scald, pour over chocolate chips. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes, heating more if there are still lumps.  Pour into pan and top with crushed candy canes.  Refrigerate 30-60 minutes then cut into squares. Drop into hot milk, stir and enjoy. Or just eat. Again, judgment free zone.

2 comments:

  1. interesting! truffles with a ganache base, but in a chocolate bark form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I saw a couple people roll them into a ball, then let them set up and gave them away as presents, super cute! We actually totally forgot about these until everyone had left but I am for sure making them this year for fun presents for everyone I know!

      Delete